Friday, October 30, 2009

Recent Conversations

Yesterday (10/29/09) Morning, on our way out the door to go to school:

...somehow getting onto planets....

M: Mom, what is the further planet from Earth?

Me: Well, Pluto used to be, but now I think it's Neptune. I can't really remember the order of the planets and I don't remember the trick to do it.

M: What trick?

Me: It's called a mnemonic device and it's a way to remember the order of something. Like knowing that the word HOMES will give you the five Great Lakes of Michigan. Huron, Ontario, Michigan, Erie, Superior.

M: Ontario, I know Ontario. Why is it called that when it's in Michigan?

Me: Because it's an Indian word that's used a lot around these areas for the Indians that used to live here.

M: The white people weren't very nice to the Indians.

Me: No, they weren't.

M: I bet the Indians were sad when the white people came.

Me: Yep, I bet they were.

M: It's like white people were British.

*****************************************
this morning (10/30/09) on the way to school

background information - I bought an umbrella for M that automatically opens and closes because she has one that's too big (parasol shaped) for her backpack and the small one that I have is a manual and she has a little trouble with it. We practiced opening and closing it to be sure she could work it with the understanding that she could take it to school.

M: My new umbrella is in my backpack.

Me: Yep.

M: It has a button that opens and closes it.

Me: Mmmmhmmm.

M: It's electric.

Me: No honey, it's automatic.


****************************************
tonight, in the car (10/30/09)

M: Did you know you have a telescope in your mouth?

Me: What do you mean?

M: There's a telescope in your mouth.

Me: [no clue] That you can look at things with?

M: No, that the tooth fairy uses to see in your mouth.

Me: Hmmm...I didn't know.

No comments: